Tuesday, June 17, 2008

High__ _____ wire___ _______ ______ performance

There is a T-Mobile ad running on TV right now that bugs me for a couple of reasons. The ad is about a transient, couchsurfing twentysomething who spends the 30-second spot gushing about the great coverage he gets from T-Mobile in whatever disparate corner of America he happens to find himself in.

First of all, as a T-Mobile customer, I'm going to dispute the claim of stellar coverage and call quality. I haven't found this to be the case. I'll often miss key parts of what the person on the other end of the phone is saying to me, resulting in confusion for me and aggravation for my caller ("What? You want me to pick up a man on a farm?! Huh? Ohhh.. pick up some apples from the man at the farmstand? Yeah, I guess that makes more sense.").

The thing that really makes me scratch my head, though, is at the end of the commercial where T-Mobile does a little bragging about winning the "highest-ranked wireless customer service performance 7 times in a row" from J.D. Power and Associates. I'm fine with T-Mobile touting this award - in fact, I think it's a well-deserved accolade. The few (pre-blog) times I've had to call the customer service line I've been almost shocked by the friendliness and helpfulness of the staff. So I don't have a problem with promoting the award, it just doesn't really fit in the context of this commercial. This customer service award has nothing to do with call quality, so it seems strange stuck on the end like it is. It's almost like T-Mobile is trying to trick the viewers by talking about call quality and then quickly flashing an award on the screen, leading to the assumption that the award applies to call quality. I smell a bait and switch!

I hope no one out there got tricked by this tomfoolery. If you did, unless you live out West or in the Southeast, you're going to need that excellent customer service to call and complain about all the important conversations you're going to miss.

"I'm getting married to that boy who's a friend of Lindsay's!"
"What?! You're getting married to my boyfriend?!?!"

Because I still think T-Mobile has great customer service that IS worth bragging about, I'm going to give this a lukewarm check.

2 comments:

Becky said...

I didn't know you had T-Mobile. I had it for a while when I first got a cell phone back in the day, and I thought the coverage was pretty bad. I didn't even get reception in my own house.

Profile said...

P.S. I applied to have my apartment unit be the setting for this commercial. Unfortunately I called a day too late. How great would that be if you had been making fun of the commercial shot in my living room...